Q1. NASA’s Ingenuity mission is related to
A. Study Neptune and Uranus during planetary flybys
B. Deep space exploration systems
C. Flying Helicopter on Mars
D. Nuclear-powered drone to search for life on Mars
Answer Option: C
1. NASA’s Ingenuity Mars Helicopter became the first aircraft in history to make a powered, controlled flight on another planet.
Q2. Consider the following statements regarding Remdesivir
1) Remdesivir is an injectable anti-viral that kills the virus in the human body.
2) It was used to treat SARS (severe acute respiratory syndrome) and MERS (Middle East respiratory syndrome).
3) It is usually given in the early stages of hospitalisation, since late use has little effect.
Answer Option: (2, 3)
1. Remdesivir is an injectable anti-viral that aims to prevent replication of the virus. o It was manufactured in 2014 to treat Ebola, and has since been used to treat SARS and MERS. o In 2020, it was repurposed for Covid treatment. o Clinical experience has shown it works best in mildly ill patients, and in early stages of hospitalisation; late use has little effect.
Q3. Which of the following are the major applications of Zeolites
1) Commercial adsorbents and catalysts
2) Commercial water purification and softening
3) Oxygen production
4) Store solar heat harvested from solar thermal collectors
3) The goods produced are distributed among people on the basis of Purchasing Power
Answer Option: All
1. Zeolites are microporous, aluminosilicate minerals commonly used as commercial adsorbents and catalysts. o Zeolites are widely used as ion-exchange beds in domestic and commercial water purification, softening, and other applications. o Zeolite-based oxygen concentrator systems are widely used to produce medical-grade oxygen. o The zeolite is used as a molecular sieve to create purified oxygen from air using its ability to trap impurities, in a process involving the adsorption of nitrogen, leaving highly purified oxygen and up to 5% argon.
Q4. Consider the following statements regarding International Court of Justice:
1) ICJ acts as an appeal court for any international tribunal.
2) The judgements of the ICJ are final and without appeal.
3) UN Security Council can enforce ICJ rulings
Answer Option: Both(2, 3)
1. The ICJ is not a supreme court to which national courts can turn; it does not act as a court of last resort for individuals. o Nor is it an appeal court for any international tribunal. o It can, however, rule on the validity of arbitral awards. o The Court can only hear a dispute when requested to do so by one or more States. o It cannot deal with a dispute on its own initiative. o Neither is it permitted, under its Statute, to investigate and rule on acts of sovereign States as it chooses. o Judgments are final and without appeal. o If there is a dispute about the meaning or scope of a judgment, the only possibility is for one of the parties to make a request to the Court for an interpretation. o In the event of the discovery of a fact hitherto unknown to the Court which might be a decisive factor, either party may apply for revision of the judgment. o United Nations Charter authorizes the UN Security Council to enforce Court rulings. o However, such enforcement is subject to the veto power of the five permanent members of the council.
Q5. UN convention on the Rights of persons with disabilities includes which of these rights for the differently abled
1) Rights to accessibility including the information technology
2) Rights to live independently and be included in the community
3) Rights to participate in political and public life
Answer Option: (1, 2, 3)
1. Rights specific to this convention include the rights to accessibility including the information technology, the rights to live independently and be included in the community (Article 19), to personal mobility (article 20), habilitation and rehabilitation (Article 26), and to participation in political and public life, and cultural life, recreation and sport (Articles 29 and 30).
Q6. Consider the following statements:
1) India is the world's largest crude oil importer.
2) At present, OPEC countries meet 90% of India's crude oil demand.
Which of the above statements is/are correct:
Answer Option: Neither 1 nor 2
1. India is the world's third-largest crude oil importer. o OPEC meets 78% of India's crude oil demand, 59% of its LPG needs, and nearly 38% of LNG consumption. o Traditionally, OPEC nations offer bigger discounts on crude oil sold to western economies in comparison to eastbound cargoes.
Q7. Hague Code of Conduct (HCOC), sometimes seen in news, is related to
A. Code of Conduct for civil servants working for United Nations
B. Prevention of the proliferation of ballistic missiles
C. Prohibition of the usage of biological weapons by the member countries
D. None of the above
Answer Option: B
1. The International Code of Conduct against Ballistic Missile Proliferation, also known as the Hague Code of Conduct (HCOC), was established on 25 November 2002 as an arrangement to prevent the proliferation of ballistic missiles.
Q8. Consider the following statements
1) At present, Saudi Arabia is the largest supplier of Crude oil to India.
2) OPEC+ is an alliance of crude producers, who have been undertaking corrections in supply in the oil markets.
3) OPEC membership is open to any country that is a substantial exporter of oil and which shares the ideals of the organization.
Answer Option (2, 3)
1. US crude oil exports to India jumped to 2.11 million metric tonnes in February, helping it dislodge Saudi Arabia as the second largest supplier to India, the world’s third largest oil importer. o This comes in the backdrop of India increasing its oil imports from the US, with the Indian government working on diversifying the country’s energy basket with crude oil supplies from non-Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (Opec) sources. o India's dramatic surge in US crude inflows has helped the exporter to displace Saudi Arabia for the first time. o Global crude oil prices have surged after the Opec-plus grouping’s decision to retain supply curbs. o OPEC+ is an alliance of crude producers, who have been undertaking corrections in supply in the oil markets. o OPEC membership is open to any country that is a substantial exporter of oil and which shares the ideals of the organization
Q9. Consider the following statements regarding UN Security Council
1) It is the only UN body with the authority to issue binding resolutions to member states.
2) The presidency of the Council is held by each of the members in turn for one month, following the English alphabetical order of the Member States names.
3) It was established in 1945 and headquartered in Geneva
Answer Option: 1, 2
1. All members of the United Nations agree to accept and carry out the decisions of the Security Council. o While other organs of the United Nations make recommendations to member states, only the Security Council has the power to make decisions that member states are then obligated to implement under the Charter. o The presidency of the Council is held by each of the members in turn for one month, following the English alphabetical order of the Member States names. o It was established in 1945 and headquartered in New York.
Q10. Consider the following statements about the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC):
1) Nepal and Bhutan are members of the BIMSTEC
2) It was established through the Bangkok Declaration
3) It is an implicit free trade agreement among the member nations.
Answer Option: 1, 2
1. The Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation (BIMSTEC) is a regional organization comprising seven Member States lying in the littoral and adjacent areas of the Bay of Bengal constituting a contiguous regional unity. o This sub-regional organization came into being in 1997 through the Bangkok Declaration. o It constitutes seven Member States: five deriving from South Asia, including Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, and two from Southeast Asia, including Myanmar and Thailand. o It is not an FTA. o IT is a sector-driven organization focussing on sharing best practices and help each other in agriculture, public health, poverty alleviation, counter-terrorism, environment, culture etc. o Fourteen priority sectors of cooperation have been identified and several BIMSTEC centres have been established to focus on those sectors.